Author Topic: Cranberry Junction depot  (Read 2055 times)

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Cranberry Junction depot
« on: December 21, 2015, 12:41:47 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone know what year the original Edaville built the Cranberry Junction depot and when it was later moved down to the Edaville Center area?

My first few visits to Edaville were in 1958 and I remember boarding the train at the top of the loop.  I also remember the siding they had up there.

Thanks,
Glenn

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Cranberry Junction depot
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 08:38:11 PM »
Found it!

The information is in Peter Barney's "The Edaville Strucrures Book."  The book states, " ... Between 1956 and 1961 passengers boarded the train at Ball Park/Cranberry Junction."  He also includes a picture of Monson #4 pulling into the station in 1956. 

Thanks to everyone who tried to assist!

Sincerely,
Glenn

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 05:22:28 PM »
My first 2 visits to Edaville were 1958  (when, as an 8 year old, I asked my Dad what was wrong with this "little" train with just one seat on each side of the aisle) and then in 1962.  I remember our boarding point changed.  Thanks for sharpening my memory, Glenn!  I seem to remember an Edaville Cranberry-painted boxcar on the station spur in '58.

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 08:52:04 PM »
You are most welcome!

Merry Christmas, Bill!

Best Regards,
Glenn

Tom Werb

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 12:23:51 PM »
IIRC, the Depot buildiing was cut in half, and moved in (2) pieces.
Extremely-Narrow-Mindedly,
Tom Werb

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 04:13:16 PM »
That's my understanding too, Tom.  I know that if you knew what to look for you could see the "join" after the structure had been moved from Meadow Street to its final location off of Pine St.

I also remember the banner that used to hang over Route 58 at the intersection of Rochester Road (i.e. Route 58) and Meadow Street.  It looked like it was made of white canvas with black letters and had several "C-shaped" cutouts on its face to let the strong breezes blow through. There was a legend on both sides that said something like "Edaville Railroad --> Turn Here."   I think the white farm house on the northwest corner of the intersection is still there.

Good memories.

Best Regards,
Glenn