Author Topic: Latest acquisitions of the L&B  (Read 6158 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Latest acquisitions of the L&B
« on: August 22, 2015, 03:46:59 PM »
The Lynton & Barnstable in England has taken delivery of a number of items from the former South African Railways two-foot operations.

http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/story/south-african-wagons-arrival-20th-august

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Latest acquisitions of the L&B
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 10:58:50 PM »
Very interesting, Wayne. Thank you for the link.

Apart from museums and heritage operations such as the Sandstone Estates and the Patons Country NG Railway, how much two-foot gauge equipment is still left in South Africa?

I'm thinking specifically about wheelsets, since it occurs to me that even with the shipping cost it might be less expensive to acquire used SAR wheelsets (if they're available) than to make our own.

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 02:17:01 AM »
I think we have at least one ex-SAR bogie on site. Not sure where it originated, but you may be correct in your thinking about wheelsets and maybe even trucks.

Steve

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 11:18:57 AM »
Noticing the SAR ballast car with the Vacuum operated system made me sit up and take note.  With #9 coming back online with vacuum brakes would it not be in our own best interest to see if we could find a similar car for ourselves?  With all the construction still ahead of us and of course normal maintenance wouldn't this be a much more efficient way to handle this aspect of work.  I would suggest we contact the L&B to find out what it took and how much it cost to get their MOW equipment and as mentioned previously, wheelsets and trucks.  We may find it a lot more cost effective to obtain SAR equipment rather than building new.

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 04:09:07 PM »
I second that on the SAR ballast hopper.
I would also make a donation $ to the cause.

NO, it never ran on the WW&F, but...............

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 04:47:24 PM »
I believe the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland have also acquired some SAR rolling stock in recent years, including both ballast hoppers and coal wagons. They appear to be getting good use out of them in MOW work and for moving company coal.

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 05:04:51 PM »
Since I have visited both railroads, I can confirm they have a fairly large supply of ex-SAR rolling stock.

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 12:12:51 AM »
Hi Gents,

I have been lead to understand that a substantial amount of equipment (including locomotives) remains at Humewood Road on the Port Elizabeth - Avontuur line (later known as the Alfred County Rwy which hosted the famed Apple Express).  This line was 177 miles long excluding the additional 17 mile Patensie branch.  This entire line remains in place today but has not run trains since 2009 due to damage by violent storms.

The 76 mile Port Shepstone Harding line hosted the famous Banana Express and was closed in 2006.  Most of the line may remain in place, but a significant portion near the Port has seen some scrapping and storm damage.

Finally, there may be significant stock remaining from the Donnybrook line, 97 miles.  It was closed and I believe possibly scrapped, in 1986.   It's 17.5 mile Madonela branch was closed in 1985, but reportedly remained in situ.  A portion of this branch was reopened as the Paton's Country Railway in 2000.

Best Regards,
Glenn
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 12:18:27 AM by Glenn Christensen »