Author Topic: Reproduction Builder/Number Plates - Materials, etc.  (Read 33844 times)

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Reproduction Builder/Number Plates - Materials, etc.
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2015, 09:40:30 PM »
Will you be showing this off at the Spring Work Weekend?
Also, have you seen http://www.hubbardtonforge.com/? Steve Piwowarki posted this URL on Facebook. It seems like something you would enjoy.

-John

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Preservation Pattern
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 01:10:59 AM »
Unfortunately, the buckle nor I will make it to the Spring Work Weekend- as it always falls about a week before my finals. But you'll probably get a chance to see it a little later.
Head of Jason Bothering Department
Shop Foreman

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 08:11:24 AM »
Alan;
Are you taking orders for belts? Do they come in various sizes? Could be a profit center for you!
Dave

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Preservation Pattern
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2015, 12:13:42 AM »
The impetus for this project was trying to come up with an item that the museum could sell to continue to raise money for projects. But after discussing the idea with James, it didn't seem like we could get commercially made buckles to sell at a price point which would do well in the gift shop. I would feel a little weird about making much of a profit off selling these, and especially using this forum to advertise them. The other side of the coin is that I don't have tons of time that I can devote to this (what with classes, work, and the occasional pattern). But I would still love to get buckles to people if they really want one. So if anybody is interested, what I'd rather do is this:
I would offer the finished buckles for $75. I would keep $25 just to cover the cost of the casting, hardware, and finishing, and in turn donate the other $50 to the museum. That way the museum is still getting something out of the time that I'd be spending on any of these. The buckle is about 2.5" in diameter, and I set it up for a full grain 1.5" leather belt. You can get in touch with me via PM or email if you're interested.

Note for mods- if this is inappropriate to post on here, feel free to censor, delete, or let me know.
Head of Jason Bothering Department
Shop Foreman

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2015, 08:07:29 AM »
Alan,

Your offer is very admirable and when you and the BOD work out the mechanics for the ordering and payments, you can count me in.
Moxie Bootlegger

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2015, 04:30:42 PM »
Speaking as a board member...

As far as I am concerned, this is an offer between Alan, and whomever takes him up on it.  I'm quite happy the Museum gets a donation out of it, if that's the way Alan wants to do it.  The market for these is pretty limited (large belt buckles are not a New England thing), I think.

Greg Klein

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2015, 07:59:48 AM »
A 2" hitch receiver cover might be a good sell. People put boat propellers or bobbling deer heads on their trucks all the time.  I have a cast aluminium knuckle coupler on my truck in fact.

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2015, 09:35:42 PM »
Wait a minute,...
"dinner-plate" belt buckles,... "WWF"...
Is this a railroad or a wrestling organization?  ???

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 09:49:13 PM »
Would you believe a rodeo?

Kevin H Evans

• Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2015, 01:22:58 PM »
I cut the pattern for this one,

http://nmslrhs.org/Photos/2011/10-03/slides/PA010037.html
Now days I would probably get a 3D printer and input a file, this one was done with hand cut letters and numbers glues on to a plywood base.

Regards,
Kevin
I drank what?
Socrates

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2017, 09:45:32 PM »
Folks,
         Just to make sure this topic does not get too serious; the Colorado Railroad Museum used to operate the next door, the Iron Horse Motel. They put reproduction number plate door numbers on the rooms. Some were round and some were rectangles.

Now many years later the motel is long gone and the door numbers are turning up on the E-bay for sale as real D&RGW number plates. Back then it was not possible to make them in plastic; so they are metal.

How time fly's by!

Ted Miles, WW&F Life Member, narrow gauge east and west!