Author Topic: Disneyland Railroad (California)  (Read 7902 times)

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
Disneyland Railroad (California)
« on: December 19, 2011, 12:44:07 PM »
Here we can talk about these little famous engines that Walt Disney built and restored for his famous little railroad around his famous theme park.

To start out my reallly like the way how Walt Disney restored my favorite engine #3. :D
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Disneyland Railroad (California)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 06:49:51 PM »
Walt Disney had lots deeper pockets than the WW&F has.

Richard

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 07:33:45 PM »
Yes, Mr. Disney had deep pockets and a good sized area to build his 3 foot gauge railroad.  Plus -

Disney illustrater Ward Kimball liked 3' gauge railroads and saved a number of western pieces for his private Grizzly Flats RR. IIRC some of the equipment is now at the CA State RR Museum.  Another good amusement park with original 3' equipment is Knotts Berry Farm in CA.  Walter Knott saved some beautiful engines and rolling stock in the early 1950's.  You can see and ride Rio Grande Southern and D&RGW equipment including RGS Galloping Goose #3 at the park.

Gene Autry "The Singing Cowboy" also saved a number of pieces from the D&RGW,etc narrow gauge.  Of course the biggest 3' empire was the D&RGW.  The two remaining segments of the San Juan Extension are the very popular Durango & Silverton and the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic.  It would take weeks to see and ride all the great narrow gauge operations out west.  The Georgetown Loop (which is restoring Westside Lumber shay #9) is another good operation.  They run on a rebuilt portion of the C&S between (outside) Georgetown to Silver Plume CO.  If you're going to Denver, might as well go to the CO RR Museum at Golden.  They operate D&RG power on sellected weekends.

So ... Walt Disney had company when it comes to 3' railroads.

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 08:12:14 PM »
The Ward Kimball family donated the Grizzly Flats equipment to the Orange Empire Railroad Museum in Perris, CA.
They have a small section of 3' railroad including other railroads, as well as steam, diesel and electric operations.
This is a fine, well run museum.

Ira Schreiber
Member, OERM

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 10:29:48 PM »
The Orange Empire is a nice Museum though a bit remote. My wife said she always wanted t see Paris. So I took her there. She was a bit disappointed. What did I know, I thought she said Perris...

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 10:39:16 PM »
I heard that the OREM plans on one day restoring the Emmna Nevada back to operating condition
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 08:08:20 AM »
There is a plan to restore the Emma Nevada but it won't happen any time soon.  Dan Markoff who owns E&P #4, Eureka has provided information that would help with the restoration.  As is usually the case, lack of funds is the biggest issue so it's hard to say when restoration would start.

It would really be something to see Emma and Eureka double head a train to Silverton.

Stewart
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 08:24:14 AM by Stewart Rhine »

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Emma Nevada at Orange Empire Railway Museum
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 07:56:18 PM »
folks,
         A while back the question was asked about when they plan to start restoring this 2-6-0 from the 1880s.

The answer is that work is now under way. They have their own Emma Navada pages on Facebook.com there are lots of good pictures.

I recently found that the locomotive has a replacement steel boiler; so they will not have to replace her boiler in order to get steam up. Just lots of repairs and of course new tubes.

TM, WW&F Member