Author Topic: New Forum Section: The Monson Blog  (Read 5723 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
New Forum Section: The Monson Blog
« on: September 09, 2011, 10:03:29 AM »
Roger Whitney has started a "Monson Railroad Blog" on the forum. Since it is in "Blog" format, he will post an article (or photo, etc.) of interest, and then comments from the readers can be added. Roger is able to moderate comments in his blog.

The existing Monson section of the forum will continue to operate for general discussion.

Thanks to Roger for offering to add this to our ever-growing discussion forum.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: New Forum Section: The Monson Blog
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 08:59:16 PM »
Hi all,

Sorry, I did not have a chance to explain my actions this morning (moving the Maps topic from the blog.) I was going to try to explain a few differences between blogs and discussion forums, and so now is a good time to do it.

By convention:

A "blog" (or weblog) is a series of articles by one (or more) bloggers about a particular subject. Then, discussion may (or may not) follow. Blog readers can suggest topics for the blogger to cover in his/her articles (usually by email or private message.) It is up to the blogger to decide if that is a subject that he/she would like to cover.

In a "discussion forum", anyone can make the initial posting, and a moderator sorts out the conversation if (when) they drift, or keeps the peace if the discussion gets out of hand.

I moved the Maps conversation from the Blog, since it was not true to that convention. It was posted as a response to "welcome" article. At some point, Roger (hopefully) can handle these tasks (or we can check with each other) when they come up.

Roger asked if he should post his thoughts in the discussion forum or the blog regarding the maps. That is up to him. However, my suggestion is that he run with that idea, and post an article in his blog that includes a digitized copy of the map that is in the WW&F archives, with maybe some additional thoughts on the matter.

If someone has something that they think Roger might want to cover, I would imagine that he is open to suggestions.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum