Author Topic: Phillips depot property  (Read 7868 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Phillips depot property
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:55:42 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Phillips depot property has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

ETSRRCo wrote:
On the SR&RL website they ,mention that they are negotiating the purchase of the former Phillips yard property. This is dated 2001. Any updates on this? Also what was the outcome with the Kingfield depot?

-Eric

James Patten replied:
I think they were unable to purchase the Phillips yard property.  The station itself (which has been moved from its original location) is owned by some civic group.

Kingfield depot was demolished either last year or early this year.  They were not able to save it, although they may have gotten a few key ingrediants from it.

Stewart, Zack, and I were up there probably 2 years ago now (Stewart, that was when we hiked in to Reddington, then drove to Rangely, around the mountains to Carrabasset, and down from there).  The depot building was intact but it didn't look too pretty.

Stewart Rhine replied:
Eric,  The Phillips station and yard property is still owned by the VFW.  They purchased the station, car shop and roundhouse from the scrapper in 1937.  They have 5 acres in total.  I was in the station two weeks ago and it is in good condition although modified with a drop ceiling in the main agents area.  The back hallway is original and is still in the SR&RL paint from the 1930's.  This is the hallway between the original station and the office addition that was added prior to WWI.  The VFW would like to move to another facility but is waiting for the local school district to build a new building.  When that happens, the old school will become available and the VFW can move into it.  There are no set dates as to when this will happen.

The Kingfield station was demolished as James noted.  The bay window was saved and is now sitting against the front of the "other" Phillips station which was built by Wes Spear about 1970.

James, That was a great trip when you went on with us.  I got some good photos of SR&RL things that day.  The trip we just took to Reddington was interesting in that we discovered the South bridge abutment at the Overton Stream.  It is about 400ft South of the remains of Reddington Dam and still has timbers on top of it.  I will post a photo of it soon.

Mike Fox replied:
James, when did they move the station in Phillips. The way things looked to me, it seemed like it was in the same location now as it was back then. And everything lined up with the right of way I thought.

Stewart Rhine replied:
Mike,  The Phillips station has never been moved.  It sits in it's original location.  At some point it was lifted and a new foundation was built  underneath.  I believe it was back in the 1970's or early 1980's.  That is the only major change I am aware of.

Other news - The car shop building was used as a basketball court for years.  That's why the building has a peaked roof.  It was closed in the early 1990's and has been vacant for years.  It has just been re-opened, cleaned up, had new windows installed.  A local group is now using it as a Rec Hall.  You can see through the windows and it looks good inside.

Stewart

Mike Fox replied:
Stewart,
Thanks for letting me know. The paint shop and a section house still exist there too. Are the abutments still there for the Iron bridge that was south of town? I have never walked there.
Mike

Stewart Rhine replied:
Mike,  There are a number of original SR&RL structures remaining around Phillips.  The operating railroad has most of them.  The freight house was moved and serves as the gift shop at the North end of their track.  The Phillips crew house was moved next to the current roundhouse.  The Reeds section house is along the mainline just North of the roundhouse. The paint shop you mention sits next to the grade on the South side of the river.  To it's left is the stone abutment for the South end of the SR&RL (former P&R) covered bridge.  You can see it from Main Street.

As to the bridge South of Phillips - the stone abutments are intact that held the iron bridge called Salmon Hole trestle.  Zack and I hiked in there a few years ago and found things in good shape except for a portion of the high fill was cut out for a woods road.  There was much trestle work on either side of the iron bridge.  It was all filled in to create the high fills on either side of the river.

Stewart

Mike Fox replied:
Thanks Stewart,
I'll have to take a hike some time myself. Something I'd like to see.
Mike

Stewart Rhine replied:
I forgot to mention that the Maplewood shelter is now at the SR&RL in Phillips.  The structure was moved and restored a few years ago.  It sits next to the passing siding by the roundhouse.  It resembles our Sheepscot / Alna Center shelters but has no interior sheathing.  The original SR&RL colors are still inside.

Stewart
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum