Author Topic: Clarissa  (Read 1844 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Clarissa
« on: September 16, 2010, 12:48:18 AM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Clarissa has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

James Patten wrote:
For those of you that haven't heard, Clarissa has been moved from Maine Medical Center to a nursing home in Boothbay, could be near St. Andrew's hospital but I don't know what home it is.

If you want to visit her, now is the time to do it.

Dave Olszewski replied:
I know a nurse home in Boothbay name is St. Andrews Villages. It is near Hannaford or YMCA but not near hospital.

Dave

James Patten replied:
St. Andrews Villages could be it then.  The message we got had St. Andrews as part of the name, but St. Andrews Hospital is the only St. Andrews I knew of down there.

James Patten replied:
Laurel and I visited Clarissa today, she is in St. Andrews Hospital in Boothbay Harbor, in the nursing home wing.  She is trying to get moved to Cove's Edge in Damariscotta but that is a hard place to get into.  She's looking as well as can be expected.

Stewart Rhine replied:
It is with great sadness that I inform everyone that Clarissa went home to be with the Lord today.  She died peacefully in her sleep at St Andrews.

She was a wonderful friend to me and many other members of the WW&F Railway Museum.  She will be missed.  I extend my condolences, thoughts and prayers to her children; Mary, Buster, and Chris, his wife Angela and the rest of her family.  The truth is ... we were all part of her extended family.  I was lucky to have known her for almost 10 years.  Over the last 5 years I stayed with her during my trips to Maine, working on her house in exchange for room and board.  She treated me so well ... cooking wonderful meals and washing my grungy work clothes.  I had many great evenings sitting in her kitchen listening to her stories of how things were when she was growing up on the farm and when she and Harry first got married.  Those memories will always be with me ...

God Bless You Clarissa

Glenn Christensen replied:
I will always be thankful for her kindness and friendship.  I'll miss talking with her.  But that is such a small thing when I think of the joy she is experiencing now.

Sincerely,
Glenn

John McNamara replied:
Glenn - A few months ago, I suggested to her that Harry had doubtless filled Heaven with narrow gauge tracks by now, to which she said, "Oh no, don't tell me that. If that's true, I've already lost - he'll never pay any attention to me."

Grin ... I suspect that Harry has left a little space just for her!

Best Regards,
Glenn

Stewart Rhine replied:
During last Fall's track weekend, a special train was run so Clarissa, her son Chris, his wife Angela and Clarissa's friend Jane could ride up above Alna Center to see the new track.   The special train consisted of coach 3 and engine 10 with number 10 on the South end.  This was a departure from standard practice as coach 3 had no brakes and by the rules would not normally run alone on the train.  The extra was run at noon to take lunch to the track crew and give the guests a view of the progress.  The special went all the way above Albee's Crossing to within sight of the end of track.  Clarissa was very pleased to see the number of volunteers and ride on the new trackage.  A number of people came up to see her in the coach.  She really enjoyed that trip.  She was still talking about it over dinner that evening.  She said it was the best day she had had in months.

A special Thank You goes to a number of people for granting my request for a special train that day;

Gordon, who so carefully ran number 10 with coach 3 up to Alna Center and then Northward over the new track.
Dana, who granted permission for a passenger train to enter the work block and slowly guided Gordon across the un-ballasted track.
Allan and Jason who waived the rules and arranged the special train to pick up Clarissa at Sheepscot Station.   I know there were others who helped with the switching, etc.  I didn't see them because I was at the house helping Clarissa get into her car for the ride over to the station.

Thanks to everyone involved.  It was a very special day for a very special person.  That was the last time Clarissa rode the WW&F and it couldn't have been a better gift for her.

Stewart Rhine

Stephen Hussar replied:

Is the family accepting flowers?  Please let me know where I should send them?

Sincerely,
Glenn

James Patten replied:
Clarissa's memorial service will be Saturday, Feb 3 at the Bible Baptist Church in Wiscasset.  Service will be at 2 PM.  The church is the one across the way from Wiscasset Ford, and near where Ames Hardware used to be.

Ira Schreiber replied:
My condolences to the family and friends of Clarissa. I met her only once, but we have lost another piece of the WW&F history
Peace
Ira Schreiber

Joe Fox replied:
That's to bad. I remember talking to Clarissa one Friday afternoon when she was on one of her yard walks as I call them, and me and her talked for about ten minutes or so about the museum and a few other things to.

Joe

Bill Sample replied:
For those interested, Clarissa's obituary can be viewed on line through
www.legacy.com/obituaries.asp as it appeared in the Kennebec Journal.
The last time I saw Clarissa was last fall when several of us were helping to unload unneeded firewood from her cellar (that warmed us up for trackwork later that day!) during the autumn track weekend.  She thanked us all as we left, from the living room where she was with Cindy and others.

One of the best qualities of the WW&F group is the way that the organization takes care of their own - including "feeding the troops" and helping the Percivals as two prime examples.

Stewart Rhine replied:
Bruce,   I think you made some really good statements at Clarissa's memorial service.  I remember some of the things you mentioned.  Also, it was great to see that about 1/3 of the church filled with her WW&F friends.

Bruce Wilson replied:
Stewart,

Thanks, I was inspired by what Mr. Atwood had said about her being an "Angel" and by what you had said about how the museum had set the stage for some lasting friendships and marriages.

I have offered to write my words down for John M. to use in the newsletter. Hopefully you will do likewise and others who wish to include recollections of Clarissa will do so...

Bruce

Bill Sample replied:
Stewart and Bruce,
Thank you both for sharing your memories of Clarissa at the service. For those of us who didn't know her as well it helped us connect. We enjoyed hearing of her adventuresome side with the 4 wheeling experience, and also enjoyed hearing of Harry using their new oven for various railroad purposes.  Anecdotes like these would make for some interesting reading in the years to come - have any of them been written down for posterity?

Bruce Wilson replied:
Thank you Bill...

I would like to propose to the W.W. & F. Ry. Museum archival committee, that such remembrances do become recorded.

Bruce

Stewart Rhine replied:
Bruce & Bill,  I have saved copies of all the messages and posts about Clarissa.  I intend to put them in the archives this year.  It's true that the members who knew them should record memories of Harry and Clarissa.  I think it's just as important as interviews with people who rode the WW&F back in the day.  Good point Bruce.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum