Author Topic: Victor Hamburger  (Read 2905 times)

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Victor Hamburger
« on: March 04, 2010, 01:53:06 PM »
WW&F volunteer, Victor Hamburger, passed away last night, March 3rd from complications with his valiant fight against cancer.
Vic was a very close friend and this will be a big loss to me, as well as to the entire WW&F family.

Keith
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 02:22:20 PM by Keith Taylor »

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Victor Hamburger
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 02:59:56 PM »
So sorry to hear this. Vic was the very first person to write to me with congrats when Restoration Stories began airing.

Stephen

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:05:13 PM »
That's a real shame. The couple of times I met Vic at Sheepscot, he was very focused on and involved with rebuilding windows for coach no. 8 and doing a marvelous job. His skills and talents, not to mention his great laugh, will be missed.

Wayne Laepple

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 06:43:35 PM »
Sad news indeed. May he now and forever 'play trains' with Harry.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 05:11:28 AM »
I met Vic more than 20 years ago when we both worked for Digital Equipment Corp and my son and I gave him and his late brother Amos a guided tour of the B&SR.  They were both very enjoyable company and I miss them both.

Sincerely,
Glenn

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 05:35:53 AM »
That's a real shame. The couple of times I met Vic at Sheepscot, he was very focused on and involved with rebuilding windows for coach no. 8 and doing a marvelous job. His skills and talents, not to mention his great laugh, will be missed.
Wayne Laepple

Here he is (on the left), working on the coach 8 windows, in a Steve Hussar photo that appeared in the May/June 2006 WW&F Newsletter. Steve may have a better shot in his archives, but here's one to get started.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 03:19:29 PM »
I worked with Vic on coach 8 a number of times.  His carpentry skills were amazing, yet he was modest about his workmanship.  He spent alot of time in his home shop building new window sashes.  Some had to be modified at Sheepscot due to coach 8's irregular window openings.  He was a pleasure to work with and I learned much from his attention to detail.   He will be missed.  His legacy will be the friendships he built with the WW&F family and his excellent work restoring coach 8.

Thanks Vic,  We'll see you a few miles down the track ...

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 03:26:05 PM »
It's always hard to lose a fellow narrow gauger. He was a good guy and loyal volunteer. Here' Victor's obituary from the Worcester Telegram:

J. Victor Hamburger, 64, of Westborough, died on Wednesday, March 3, 2010 at the UMass Memorial Healthcare University Hospital. He was the husband of Cynthia (Martin) Hamburger.

Born in Boston, he was the son of the late Amos and Victoria (Daloz) Hamburger. He was educated in Needham schools and graduated from West Virginia Wesleyan College.

Mr. Hamburger was employed as a customer service representative for E.L. Harvey and Sons in Westborough. He was a member of the First United Methodist Church, the Norfolk Lodge AF & AM and the New England Wood Carvers. He also enjoyed Model Railroads and spending time in Bristol, Maine.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by his two children, James E. Hamburger and his wife, Doris of Upton and Laura E. Stone and her husband, Donald of Acton. He is also survived by five grandchildren, Joe, Sean and Jamie Duffy and Everett and Carter Stone.

He was the brother of the late Amos Hamburger.

His funeral service will be held on Monday, March 8, at 10:00 A.M. in the First United Methodist Church, 120 West Main St., Westborough. Burial will follow in Pine Grove Cemetery.

Calling hours are Sunday, March 7, from 2 to 5 P.M. in the Rand-Harper-Pickering Westborough Funeral Home, 62 West Main St., Westborough.

In lieu of flowers, donations in his memory may be made to the American Cancer Society , 350 Plantation St., Worcester, MA 01604 or to the First United Methodist Church Memorial Fund, 120 West Main St., Westborough, MA 01581.